倍可親

回復: 2
列印 上一主題 下一主題

Why you should study English pronunciation?

[複製鏈接]

主題

帖子

積分

貝殼網友一級

愛國華僑(十五級)

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
yjpp 發表於 2004-3-13 06:47 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
Why you should study English pronunciation?
http://www.sina.com.cn 2004/03/08 17:43  新浪教育

First impressions 第一印象

Pronunciation is definitely the biggest thing that people notice when you are speaking English. Let us tell you a personal anecdote『故事、軼事』about this:

We once went to a conversation class taught by native speaker (American). Before the class started, the teacher said to us: "So, do you speak good English?". I replied "We think so", and the teacher said "It sure sounds like you do『聽起來好像確實是這樣』".

Notice that we just said three words and the teacher could already tell if our English was good or bad. Why did the teacher think our English was good? Because of the difficult words we used? No. Because we used advanced『高級的』grammar structures? No. It was our pronunciation.

When you meet a person, and you just say a sentence or two, do you think they will notice your poor vocabulary or bad grammar? Probably not. But they will notice if your pronunciation is good or bad. If your pronunciation is poor, they will immediately think about you as "the guy/girl who speaks bad English". Your pronunciation creates the first impression you make.

[BRIAN小結]

1、anecdote:趣聞、軼事

經典例句:This is a small town full of anecdotes. /這是一個充滿軼事的小鎮。

2、advanced:先進的、高級的

經典例句:1 million RMB can afford to an advanced car. /一百萬可以買一輛高級車。

3、Your pronunciation creates the first impression you make. /你的發音造就你給人的第一印象。

Communication 溝通

Good pronunciation should be one of the first things that you learn in English. You can live without advanced vocabulary―you can use simple words to say what you want to say. You can live without advanced grammar―you can use simple grammar structures instead. But there is no such thing as "simple pronunciation". If you don't have good pronunciation, you have... bad pronunciation.

And the results of bad pronunciation are tragic『可憐的』. Even if you use great vocabulary and grammar, people may simply not understand what you want to say.

For example, if you pronounce sleep like this, and not like that, or if you pronounce ghost like this instead of this, native speakers will have serious problems understanding you! In our opinion, you should know how to say English sounds like the ee in sleep or the o in ghost, before you even learn words like sleep and ghost.

Here is another story about this. After coming back from a vacation in the USA, a friend of mine said:

"Whenever I spoke to a person in America, they kept asking me "What? What?". I would repeat my sentence again and again. Finally they would say "Ah-ha!" and then say my sentence, using exactly my words! It was very humiliating『羞辱性的』. I knew my words and grammar were good, but nobody would understand me, just because of my pronunciation. I am very motivated to learn English now."

[BRIAN小結]

1、tragic:可憐的、悲慘的

經典例句:Her whole life has been tragic. /她一生的命運都很悲慘。

2、humiliating:羞辱性的

經典例句:Jack was upset by this humiliating question. /傑克對這個羞辱性的提問感到氣憤。

Can you communicate in English? 你能否用英文交談?

Almost all English learners say "I don't need to study pronunciation. I just want to communicate in English." Many of them think that they can communicate in English because they can communicate with their teacher and other students.

Do not make this mistake! You have to remember that:

Your teacher has been listening to bad English for years. So he or she can understand it much more easily than the average person.『所以他/她比普通人更容易聽懂(發音不好的人講的英語)』

Other students are usually from the same country as you. Therefore, they speak English like you and they make the same mistakes. So it is easy for them to understand you.

The only true test is: Go to America or Britain and try to talk to "normal people"―a clerk『職員』at a supermarket『超市』, a bus driver, etc. If they can understand you, then you can say that you can communicate in English.

Unfortunately, many learners ignore『忽視』pronunciation. They can communicate in class, so they think that they are good enough. After a few years they go to England or the USA and nobody understands what they are saying. Remember My friend who went on vacation to America and couldn't communicate? He was the best student in his English class.

[BRIAN小結]

1、In order to communicate in English, you have to study pronunciation. /要想用英

語交流,你首先要學習發音。

2、supermarket:超市

經典例句:It's cheaper to buy in the supermarket than in the convinience store. /超市買東西比便利店要便宜。

3、ignore:忽視

經典例句:Nobody likes to be ignored. /沒有人願意被忽視。

Communication is not enough 只是交流還不夠

If you can communicate in English with people from other countries, congratulations! It's a big achievement『成就』. But it may not be enough.

If you are at Level 2 of pronunciation skill『發音處於二級水平』, your English is understandable『可以聽懂』, but you have a strong foreign accent『外來口音』which is unpleasant『令人不愉快的』to other people.

We have already said that your pronunciation is important because it makes your first impression. This is certainly true--nobody will say that you speak good English if you have a foreign accent. But there is more. If you have a pleasant accent, people will simply enjoy talking to you. They will want to spend time with you. On the other hand, if your accent is bad, people may be even avoiding『逃避』you (consciously or unconsciously『自覺和不自覺地』).

The good news is that you can work on your pronunciation until you speak "understandable and pleasant English". For example, you can learn the sounds of English, listen to recordings, watch English television, etc.

[BRIAN小結]

1、achievement:成就、完成

經典例句:The bridge is the his greatest achievement in life. /這座橋是他一生最耀眼的成就。

2、understandable:可以理解的

經典例句:It's understandable why Elton wants to sell his house. /愛爾頓要賣掉房子也是可以理解的。

3、avoid:避免

經典例句:He has learned how to do business with foreigners and how to avoid being cheated. /他已經學會了如何跟外國人做生意,並如何防止被騙。
雨季枇杷

主題

帖子

積分

註冊會員

小留學生(一級)

積分
沙發
foodagent 發表於 2004-3-16 21:19 | 只看該作者

pronunciation is not the most important thing for English learners

What to say is more important than how to say it.  Never try to be perfect on your accent.  If you can say some English beautifully, good for you.  But it's not neccessary.  The important thing is to let others understand what you are saying.

I know many Indian students carry strong accent.  Often pronunciate t as d like teacher as deacher. But they can express themselves freely.  On the contrary, not as many Chinese students can speak as good as Indian students.
http://www.foodconsumer.com
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

有過貢獻的斑竹

倍可親智囊會員(十八級)

積分
珊SHaN 發表於 2004-3-16 21:21 | 只看該作者
That's so true.  That's why we encourage everyone here to learn and use them.
Welcome to join us!
☆以上內容,寫在可親,留在可親,僅限可親。☆
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄后才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

關於本站 | 隱私權政策 | 免責條款 | 版權聲明 | 聯絡我們

Copyright © 2001-2013 海外華人中文門戶:倍可親 (http://big5.backchina.com) All Rights Reserved.

程序系統基於 Discuz! X3.1 商業版 優化 Discuz! © 2001-2013 Comsenz Inc.

本站時間採用京港台時間 GMT+8, 2024-4-28 19:41

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表