樓主
eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 01:51 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
本帖最後由 eztomcat 於 2012-8-5 01:55 編輯

海歸學者饒毅致信《自然》雜誌總編 反擊對葉詩文偏見報道

京港台時間:2012/8/5  消息來源:科學網

相關新聞:連《Nature》雜誌也來湊熱鬧:葉詩文事件的生理學討論(圖)

斐爾,

你可能因Ewen Callaway對葉詩文的報道而被email狂炸,過去二十小時,給你email的人裡面小部分也給我來信。

如果你奇怪《自然》非本質部分一篇報道為何帶來這麼大的反應,你應該高興中文讀者比世界其他讀者更看重你們的新聞報道,與科學相關的(即使關係很小)也可能重於《紐約時報》,中文媒體報道用你們的新聞也遠多於一般西方媒體用你們的新聞。

Callaway報道最好也是草率、最差是種族偏見:1)最初的副標題暗示葉可能舞弊; 2)Callaway用了兩件事實說明葉驚人地異常,而兩件都錯了; 3)Callaway沒諮詢意見不同的專家,導致報道不平衡,低於公平報道的最低標準。所以,Callaway至少不負責任,可能太快就暗示中國運動員容易舞弊。他肯定沒有達到新聞報道的通常標準。

我很高興看到在我草擬此信的過程中,《自然》可能意識到原副標題的偏見,將之由「成績追蹤記錄有助於抓體育舞弊者」更正為「成績追蹤記錄有助於驅散疑問」。舞弊的前設改為疑問。

Callaway報道用的兩個「事實」讓葉詩文看起來比真實的要更「異常」:說她比自己在2012年7月的記錄要快7秒,說她在最後五十米比男子冠軍Ryan Lochte還要快,而後者是男子第二快的世界紀錄。

第一個「事實」錯了,第二個誤導。1)葉比自己只快5秒,而此前她的記錄創於2011年、不是2012年,這位16歲運動員用了一年而不是少於4周刷新自己。2)葉只在混合泳400米中最後自由泳一段比Lochte快,而非整個400米。Lochte在400米是世界第二快的記錄,葉在400米絲毫不能接近他(慢了二十多秒)。葉只是自由泳最強,而在前300米落後於好些女選手。雖然Lochte在400米很快,他在最後50米的自由泳慢於五、六位男選手。葉最後五十米自由泳也慢於那些男子。所以,葉只在她自己的強項而他的弱項快於Lochte。如果Callaway多做的功課,他就難以用這些「事實」來使「問題」醒目。如果Callaway多查詢,他就能發現其他游泳運動員也曾在十幾歲發育階段顯著提高記錄。這些事實更正後,Callaway的報道就沒基礎。

還有好些事實,可以讓一般讀者更理解葉詩文的成績,我不在此贅述。可以參見《附件1》,wikipedia對葉的成績有一個相當快而公平的描述。署名的《自然》報道應該優於Wikipedia。Callaway報道與Wikipedia條目的差別也顯示該記者未採訪已經公開提出不同意見的專家。

你應該收到了王立銘博士的一封email。他在發表多篇《自然》和《自然神經科學》的第一作者論文後,獲加州理工學院的博士,並因此得到有聲譽的獎學金到伯克利加州大學做獨立的博士后。萬一他給你的email埋在你收到的成百上千郵件中,我將其拷貝為《附件2》。他email給了我、要我看看此事。

Callaway在線報道下面有很多跟帖討論。有些學生以為有些很有道理(且有實質內容)的討論被刪了,他們寄給了我。我選Lai Jiang的一份為《附件3》,Zhenxi Zhang的為《附件4》。你們可以看到學生和一些更有經歷的《自然》讀者不高興是有依據的,而這些為Callaway忽略。

英國人常忘記、而現代華人不易忘記,世界上很多人以為鴉片戰爭是中國人賣鴉片給英國人。我自己6月份(這確是2012年)又經歷一次,我和一位老朋友(麻省理工學院教授)在香港開會時,發現她竟然也是這麼認為。

英國人的國際形象好,部分原因是你們的科學和科學家:當全世界中學生都要從教科書學牛頓和達爾文時,英國贏得了世界的尊重。《自然》應該以這些偉大(且客觀)的科學家建立的傳統和聲譽為自豪。他們其中有些曾在《自然》發表過論文,才有《自然》的今天。你們如果採取措施修復你們的新聞記者造成的損害,可以加強你們的聲譽。

英國人從來沒因鴉片戰爭對我們道歉,即使在1997年離開香港時也未顯示絲毫悔意。而香港是英國在鴉片戰爭后強迫我們割讓的土地。所以,記憶是猶新的,而不僅是1840年代的殘餘。如果《自然》拒絕承認此報道不公平,可能很難「驅散」英國至上的「疑問」(借用《自然》對葉報道的辭彙)。

中國人受形象不佳的牽累。我們也知道我們還有很多感到羞恥的未解決的問題,包括舞弊。越來越多的中國人能接受合理與平衡的批評,我們在倫敦奧運會為我們羽毛球的問題公開道歉就是證據。但我們對缺依據、有偏見的批評還很敏感。葉詩文不過是個16歲的年輕人,本該為自己職業生涯的成就而滿心歡喜。當已知她通過了奧運會賽前、賽中多次測試,而毫無證據指責她的時候,還有很多媒體,特別是《自然》這樣的刊物,渲染負面輿論多於正面,當然令人深感不平。

我希望你們能澄清記錄,發表平衡Callaway報道的意見。

北京大學生命科學學院 神經生物學教授 饒毅

附件1 Wikipedia對葉詩文的總結

附件2 伯克利加州大學王立明的email

附件3 Lai Jiang在Callaway報道后的意見

附件 4 Zhenxi Zhang在Callaway報道后的意見

沙發
 樓主| eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 01:52 | 只看該作者
  原文(2012年8月4日1:57am發送)

Dear Phil,

You might have been bombarded with emails about Ewen Callaway』s report on the Chinese Olympic gold medalist Ye Shiwen. Over the last 20 hours, I have received emails from a small fraction of those who had emailed you.

If you wonder why a piece in a non-essential section of Nature has brought you so much response, you should be happy to know that Chinese readers place much more weight in Nature news reports than the rest of the world does. If an event is related to science (even tangentially) and Nature publishes a news report, many Chinese readers treat the Nature report more seriously than New York Times. Chinese news media also use Nature news pieces much more than the regular Western news media would.

The Callaway report was sloppy at the best and racially biased at the worst: 1) the original subtitle implied cheating on Ye』s part, setting a negative tone for the report; 2) Callaway presented two facts to establish that Ye was strikingly anomalous, but both 「facts」 were wrong; 3) Callaway did not check with experts whose opinions did not support the doping explanation, and thus did not provide a balance report that is the minimal standard of fair reporting. Therefore, Callaway is at least irresponsible, and could have jumped too quickly to imply that Chinese athletes were prone to cheating. He has certainly not held onto the usual standard of news reporting.

I am glad that, while I was drafting this letter, Nature may have already noticed the bias in the original subtitle and corrected it by changing it from 「Performance profiling could help to catch cheaters in sports」 to 「Performance profiling could help to dispel doubts」. A presumption of cheating has changed to doubts.

The Callaway report presented two 「facts」 which made Ye Shiwen seem more 「anomalous」 than she really was by stating: that she was 7 seconds faster than herself in the same event in July 2012, and that, in the last 50 meters, she was faster than Ryan Lochte, the gold medalist of the same event for men, with the second fastest record.

The first 「fact」 was wrong, while the second was misleading. 1) Ye was only ~5 seconds faster than her own record in July, 2011, giving the 16 year old a full year rather than less than 4 weeks to improve her own record. 2) Ye was faster than Lochte only in the freestyle, not for the entire 400 meters. Lochte』s time was the second fastest for the entire 400 meters, for which Ye was not even close (she was more than 20 seconds slower than Lochte in 400 meters). Ye was only at her best in freestyle and trailed behind other women in the same event in the first 300 meters of the individual medley. While Lochte was the fastest in 400 meters, he was slower than 5 or 6 men in the last 50 meters of freestyle. Ye was slower than those other men. Thus, Ye was only faster than Lochte in a style that was her strength and his weakness. Had Callaway done a bit more home work, then he would have had a hard time to use these 「facts」 to highlight the 「problem」. Had Callaway done double-checking, he would have found that other swimmers had significantly improved their own records when they were in the teens. Corrections of these facts would have changed the basis for the Callaway report.

There are more facts that would have made the performance of Ye Shiwen more understandable to the general readership, which I will not go into details here. See Attachment 1 for an amazingly quick and well-balanced description of Ye』s performance by Wikipedia. Signed reports in Nature should have been better than Wikipedia. The contrast between the Callaway report and the Wikipedia item shows that the reporter did not interview experts who had publicly voiced different opinions.

You should have received an email from Dr. Liming Wang, who obtained a PhD from Caltech after publishing first author papers in Nature and Nature Neuroscience. He was awarded a prestigious fellowship for an independent postdoc at Berkeley. In case his email has been buried among the hundreds you have received, I am copying it here as Attachment 2. He had sent a copy of his email to me and asked me to look at the issue.

There are many online posts below the Callaway report. Some students think that a few very reasonable (and substantive) posts have been deleted. They have sent these to me and I am including one authored by Lai Jiang as Attachment 3 and another by Zhenxi Zhang as Attachment 4. You can see that the anger of students and more established scientists who read Nature was supported by facts neglected by Callaway.

One point the British often forget, but the modern Chinese do not, is that many in the world wrongly think that the Opium Wars occurred because the Chinese sold opium to the British. I personally experienced this in June (2012) when a long time friend of mine at MIT thought that way while she and I were in Hong Kong attending a meeting.

The British have a good international image, partly because of your science and your scientists: when every middle school student has to know Newton and Darwin in textbooks, the entire Britain wins the respect of the world. Nature should be proud of the tradition and prestige built by the great (and objective) scientists, some of whom have published in Nature to make Nature what it is today. Your prestige will be strengthened when you take steps to repair the damage caused by your news reporters.

The British have never apologized to us about the Opium Wars and did not show slight remorse when leaving Hong Kong in 1997 which the British forced us to cede after the British won the Opium Wars. So the memory is rather fresh, not just lingering from the 1840s. If Nature refuses to admit that this report was not balanced, it will be difficult to 「dispel doubts」 about British supremacy.

The Chinese suffer from a poor image. We also know that we have many unsolved problems that we are ashamed of, including cheating. More and more Chinese are receptive to legitimate and balanced criticism, as evidenced by our public apology for our faults at the badminton games during the London Olympic. But we are sensitive to ill-founded criticism with apparent biases. Ye Shiwen is only a 16 year old and should have enjoyed her moment of professional achievement. When she is known to have passed multiple tests before and during the London Olympic and there is no evidence to accuse her, it is certainly unjustified when the negative opinions were highly publicized but the positive ones were not, especially in a journal like Nature.

I hope that you will set record straight and publish opinions that balance the Callaway report.

Yi

Yi Rao, Ph.D.

Professor of Neurobiology, Peking University School of Life Sciences

Beijing, China

Attachment 1 Wikipedia summary of the Ye Shiwen performance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Shiwen

2012 Summer Olympics

At the 2012 Summer Olympics, in the third heat of the Women's 400m Individual Medley she swam 4:31.73, an improvement of 2 seconds over her 2010 Asian Games time. In the final she won the gold medal and broke the world record (held by Stephanie Rice since the 2008 Summer Olympics) with a time of 4:28.43, an improvement of a further 3 seconds, swimming the last 50m in 28.93 seconds.[7][8]

Ye's time over the final 50m was compared to that of Ryan Lochte, the winner of the corresponding men's event, who swam it just under a fifth of a second slower in 29.10. However, commentators pointed out that these two times were misleading outside of their proper contexts. Lochte's overall time was 23.25 seconds faster, 4:05.18, than Ye's, as were the times of three other competitors in the men's 400m IM. Equally, as Chinese team officials also pointed out, Ye's race was a very different one to Lochte's. Lochte, when he had hit the freestyle leg of the race, had a comfortable lead over his opponents, whereas Ye was still a body length behind U.S. swimmer Elizabeth Beisel at that point in her race.[6][9] Phil Lutton, sports editor of the Brisbane Times, observed that Ye, in that position, "had to hit the burners to motor past Beisel".[6] Freelance sports journalist Jens Weinreich described it as Ye having "lit the Turbo" at that point in the race.[8] Australia's Rice, a fellow competitor in the race, described Ye's performance as "insanely fast", and commented on Ye's past racing form: "I was next to her at worlds in the 200m IM last year and she came home over the top of me in that freestyle leg and I'm not exactly a bad freestyler. So she's a gun freestyler."[10][11][12]

Phil Lutton pointed out that Ye had grown from 160cm at the time of the 2010 Games to 172cm at the 2012 Olympics, and that "[t]hat sort of difference in height, length of stroke and size of hand leads to warp-speed improvement".[6] In support of the same point Ian Thorpe pointed out that he improved his own personal best in the 400m freestyle by several seconds between the ages of 15 and 16.[13] Adrian Moorhouse similarly observed that he made a personal best improvement of four seconds at age 17 as the result of a growth spurt.[13]

In the 200m IM, three days later, Ye again was behind, in third place, at the start of the final leg of the race, having been in fourth place at the end of the first leg.[14][15] But she again overtook her competitors in the freestyle leg, finishing with the time 2:07.57.[14][15] In preliminary heats she had swum 2:08.90, the same time that she achieved in the 2011 World Championships and her tenth best time of all time, with splits of 28.16, 1:00.54, and 1:38.17.[16]

Attachment 2 Email by Dr. Liming Wang, UC Berkeley

Date: Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Subject: Protest to a Nature article "Why great Olympic feats raise suspicions"

To: exec@nature.com

Philip Campbell, Ph.D. and Editor-in-Chief of Nature,

I am a neurobiologist in University of California, Berkeley, USA. I (as well as many of my colleagues) found an article that appeared in Nature yesterday, titled 「Why great Olympic feats raise suspicions」, completely groundless and extremely disturbing.

In that article, Mr. Callaway questioned China』s 16-year-old swimmer Ye Shiwen, who won two gold medals in women』s 200-meter and 400-meter individual medley (400 IM) in London Olympics, and said her record-breaking performance 「anomalous」. However, the evidence he used to support his reckless statement is simply groundless.

As many have pointed out in the major media, it is not uncommon for an elite and young swimmer to increase his/her performance in a relatively short time window. An Australian swimmer and Olympics gold medalist, Ian Thorpe, said that he improved his 400-meter performance by 5 seconds around same age as Ye. UK』s Adrian Moorhouse, a Seoul Olympics gold medalist, also testified openly that he 「improved four seconds」 at the age of 17.  He also called the suspicions around Ye』s performance 「sour grape」.

The other point that Ewen Callaway used to support his accusation, that Ye swam faster than US swimmer Ryan Lochte in the last 50 meters when he won gold in the men』s 400 IM, is unfortunately also unprovoked.  First of all, Ryan Lochte did not perform the best in the final 50 meters. He only ranked 5th in the last 50 meters, at 29』』10, which was significantly slower than Japan』s Yuya Horihata (27」87) and three other swimmers competing in the same event. (Ye』s performance was 28」93). It could be that Lochte was away ahead of his competitors in the first three splits so he did not have to strike too hard in the final 50 meters, or that he had used up all his strength. So one cannot only look at the final 50 meters of Ye and Lochte and conclude that Ye swam faster than a men』s champion. In fact, Ye』s record-breaking performance in women』s 400 IM (4』28」43) was significantly slower than Lochte』s (4』5」18). Secondly, even if one only looks at the performance of the final 50 meters, women can certainly surpass men and Ye』s performance shouldn』t be accused as 「anomalous」. For example, in last year』s World Championships in Shanghai, UK』s swimmer Rebecca Adlington won a gold medal in women』s 800-meter freestyle. In that event her performance in her final 50 meters (28」91) was faster than both Ye and Lochte in London.

It is worth pointing out that all the facts I listed above can be easily tracked in major media and from the Internet. With just a little effort Ewen Callaway could have avoided raising groundless and disturbing charges against China』s young athlete in a professional scientific journal.

Even worse, Ewen Callaway further argued that Ye』s clean drug test in Olympics 」doesn』t rule out the possibility of doping」, implying that Ye might dope 「during training」 and escape the more rigorous tests during Olympics. Such a statement is disrespectful to Ye and all professional athletes. Following this logic, Mr. Callaway can easily accuse any athlete 「doping」 without having any evidence; and ironically, according to him, those being accused have no way to prove themselves innocent: even if they pass all rigorous drug test, they can still be doping at a different time, or even be dope some unidentified drugs! I cannot help wondering if presumption of innocence (innocent until proven guilty) still has people』s belief nowadays, or it is considered outdated in Nature, or in UK?

Last but not least, although Mr. Callaway claimed that he was attempting to discuss science, instead of 「racial and political undertones」. Readers can easily smell the hidden (yet clearly implied) racism and discrimination. Yes, we may all agree that better methodology for drug test (such as 「biological passport」) is needed for the anti-doping effort. But why the stunning performance from this 16-year-old gifted swimmer can lead to such a proposal?  Was Mr. Callaway suggesting that Ye was found drug-clean simply because the drug detection method was not advanced enough? At the end of the article, Mr. Callaway even quoted 「When we look at this young swimmer from China who breaks a world record, that』s not proof of anything. It asks a question or two.」 So athletes from China, despite their talent and training, are supposed to perform bad and never break world records, otherwise they deserve to be questioned, suspected, and accused? Backed up by technological progress and better training/supporting systems, athletes worldwide are maximizing their potentials. World records are being refreshed every year. USA』s Michael Phelps just won a record 19th medals in Olympics and he has broken numerous swimming world records. Shall we also 「ask a question or two」 about his 「anomalous」 performance?

Nature is considered one of the most prestigious scientific journals in the world; many scientists, including myself, chose Nature to publish their best work (I myself have co-authored three papers published in Nature and Nature sister journals). However, Mr. Callaway』s article, which is not only misleading, but also full of racial and political bias, has tainted Nature』s reputation in the scientific community, and among the general audience. Unless Nature takes further actions (e.g. publicly retract this article and apologize to Ye and all athletes), I hereby decide not to send my work to Nature any more-and believe me I will not be the last one to protest.
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

樓主| eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 01:52 | 只看該作者

Liming Wang, PhD

Bowes Research Fellow

Department of Molecular and Cell Biology

University of California, Berkeley

CA 94720 USA

Attachment 3 Post by Lai Jiang following the Callaway report

It is a shame to see Nature, which nearly all scientists, including myself, regard as the one of the most prestigious and influential physical science magazines to publish a thinly-veiled biased article like this. Granted, this is not a peer-reviewed scientific article and did not go through the scrutiny of picking referees. But to serve as a channel for the general populous to be in touch with and appreciate sciences, the authors and editors should at least present the readers with facts within proper context, which they failed to do blatantly.

1.      First, to compare a player's performance increase, the author used Ye's 400m IM time and her performance at the World championship 2011, which are 4:28.43 and 4:35.15 respectively, and reached the conclusion that she has got an "anomalous" increase by ~7 sec (6.72 sec). In fact she's previous personal best was 4:33.79 at Asian Games 20101. This leads to a 5.38 sec increase. In a sport event that 0.1 sec can be the difference between the gold and silver medal, I see no reason that 5.38 sec can be treated as 7 sec.

Second, as previously pointed out, Ye is only 16 years old and her body is still developing. Bettering oneself by 5 sec over two years may seem impossible for an adult swimmer, but certainly happens among youngsters. Ian Thorpe's interview revealed that his 400m freestyle time increased 5 sec between the age of 15 and 162. For regular people including the author it may be hard to imagine what an elite swimmer can achieve as he or she matures, combined with scientific and persistent training. But jumping to a conclusion that it is "anomalous" based on "Oh that's so tough I can not imagine it is real" is hardly sound.

Third, to compare Ryan Lochte's last 50m to Ye's is a textbook example of what we call to cherry pick your data. Yes, Lochte is slower than Ye in the last 50m, but (as pointed out by Zhenxi) Lochte has a huge lead in the first 300m so that he chose to not push himself too hard to conserve energy for latter events (whether this conforms to the Olympic spirit and the "use one's best efforts to win a match" requirement that the BWF has recently invoked to disqualify four badminton pairs is another topic worth discussing, probably not in Nature, though). On the contrary, Ye is trailing behind after the first 300m and relies on freestyle, which she has an edge, to win the game. Failing to mention this strategic difference, as well as the fact that Lochte is 23.25 sec faster (4:05.18) over all than Ye creates the illusion that a woman swam faster than the best man in the same sport, which sounds impossible. Put aside the gender argument, I believe this is still a leading question that implies the reader that something fishy is going on.

Fourth, another example of cherry picking. In the same event there are four male swimmers that swam faster than both Lochter (29.10 sec)3 and Ye (28.93 sec)4: Hagino (28.52 sec), Phelps (28.44 sec), Horihata (27.87 sec) and Fraser-Holmes (28.35 sec). As it turns out if we are just talking about the last 50m in a 400m IM, Lochter would not have been the example to use if I were the author. What kind of scientific rigorousness that author is trying to demonstrate here? Is it logical that if Lochter is the champion, we should assume he leads in every split? That would be a terrible way to teach the public how science works.

Fifth, which is the one I oppose the most. The author quotes Tucks and implies that a drug test can not rule out the possibility of doping. Is this kind of agnosticism what Nature really wants to educate its readers? By that standard I estimate that at least half of the peer-reviewed scientific papers in Nature should be retracted. How can one convince the editors and reviewers that their proposed theory works for every possible case? One cannot. One chooses to apply the theory to typical examples and demonstrate that in (hopefully) all scenarios considered the theory works to a degree, and that should warrant a publication, until a counterexample is found. I could imagine that the author has a skeptical mind which is critical to scientific thinking, but that would be put into better use if he can write a real peer-reviewed paper that discusses the odds of Ye doping on a highly advanced non-detectable drug that the Chinese has come up within the last 4 years (they obviously did not have it in Beijing, otherwise why not to use it and woo the audience at home?), based on data and rational derivation. This paper, however, can be interpreted as saying that all athletes are doping, and the authorities are just not good enough to catch them. That may be true, logically, but definitely will not make the case if there is ever a hearing by FINA to determine if Ye has doped. To ask the question that if it is possible to false negative in a drug test looks like a rigged question to me. Of course it is, other than the drug that the test is not designed to detect, anyone who has taken Quantum 101 will tell you that everything is probabilistic in nature, and there is a probability for the drug in an athlete's system to tunnel out right at the moment of the test. A slight change as it may be, should we disregard all test results because of it? Letâa‚¬a„¢s be practical and reasonable. And accept WADA is competent at its job. Her urine sample is stored for 8 years following the contest for future testing as technology advances. Innocent until proven guilty, shouldn't it be?

Sixth, and the last point I would like to make, is that the out-of-competition drug test is already in effect, which the author failed to mention. Per WADA presidentâa‚¬a„¢s press release5, drug testing for olympians began at least 6 months prior to the opening of the London Olympic. Furthermore there are 107 athletes who are banned from this Olympic for doping. That maybe the reason that âa‚¬Å「everyone will pass at the Olympic games. Hardly anyone fails in competition testingâa‚¬Â? Because those who did dope are already sanctioned? The author is free to suggest that a player could have doped beforehand and fool the test at the game, but this possibility certainly is ruled out for Ye.

Over all, even though the author did not falsify any data, he did (intentionally or not) cherry pick data that is far too suggestive to be fair and unbiased, in my view. If you want to cover a story of a suspected doping from a scientific point of view, be impartial and provide all the facts for the reader to judge. You are entitled to your interpretation of the facts, and the expression thereof in your piece, explicitly or otherwise, but only showing evidences which favor your argument is hardly good science or journalism. Such an article in a journal like Nature is not an appropriate example of how scientific research or report should be done.

1http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.ph ... per&Itemid=1241

2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ETPUKlOwV4

3http://www.london2012.com/swimmi ... wm054100/index.html

4http://www.london2012.com/swimmi ... ww054100/index.html

5http://playtrue.wada-ama.org/new ... 12-press-conference

Attachment 4 Post by Zhenxi Zhang following the Callaway report

I just want to add this: Phelps improved 4+ seconds in his 200 fly between 14-15 years old. Ian Thorpe also had a similar performance improvement. Ye is now 16. She was 160 cm in height and now 170 cm. Human biology also play a role

海歸學者饒毅致信《自然》雜誌總編 反擊對葉詩文偏見報道

「 she gets stronger and bigger naturally. Yes she can make up 5 seconds (NOT 7 seconds in the article) in a 400 IM that has more room for improvement, with good training she got in Australia.

In both the 400 IM and 200 IM finals, Ye were behind until freestyle. Well I guess there is "drug" that just enhances freestyle, but not the backstroke, breast, and fly. Does that make sense? Also, it is not professional to only mention that 'her showing in the last 50 metres, which she swam faster than US swimmer Ryan Lochte did when he won gold in the menâa‚¬a„¢s 400 IM'. The whole fact is that Ye is more than 23 second slower than Lochte in 400 IM. Plus, Freestyle isn't Lochte's best leg, but it is Shiwen's best leg. Lochte had a huge lead on the field, and almost coasted to the finish. He wasn't pressured by the field to go all out that last few meters.

And before we get into the fact there's no way a woman should be able to come close to man's time for a final leg of 50m. May I present the following: Kate Ziegler set a WR in the 1500m freestyle. In the last 50m of her race she had a split of 29.27, which is ONLY 0.17s slower than Lochte final 50m. This was after she swam for 1100m longer than Lochte!

I feel the author would probably not write such a piece if Ye is an American or British. Neither country is clean from athletes caught by doping (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use ... n_the_Olympic_Games). Let's try not to use double standards on the great performance from countries other than US and European countries.
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

樓主| eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 01:53 | 只看該作者

英媒"另類獎牌榜"朝鮮第三 中國第26美國居40位(組圖)

京港台時間:2012/8/4  消息來源:網易體育

英國《衛報》發表的一篇報道公布"另類獎牌榜",認為現在按獎牌數量排名方式排列的獎牌榜並沒有考慮其他因素。該篇報道將各國人口、國民生產總值(一定程度上代表經濟發展狀況)以及奧運(專題)代表團的規模納入考慮,與獎牌數相結合進行綜合評定。截止北京時間8月3日,排名第一的則是摩爾多瓦,第二名為蒙古,第三名是目前只拿到4枚金牌的朝鮮隊。

在"另類排行榜"上,朝鮮此前曾登頂第一位,現今居第三位。

該篇報道指出,按照獎牌數排名,奧運(專題)會中的"超級大國"美國、中國、俄羅斯、英國、澳大利亞和德國很少發生變化,然而,不只需要按照獎牌數量衡量各個代表隊的表現。

按照這篇報道的統計方式,目前總體上金牌第一的美國隊和第二的中國隊在"另類獎牌榜"上排名都在20名開外。截止的獎牌榜數據,中國隊獲得30枚獎牌,在這個獎牌榜上排名第26,而美國隊的排名則為第40位。而更令人以外的是,目前只獲得4金1銅的朝鮮則在"另類獎牌榜"的綜合評分中排名第三。

如果就人口與獎牌數量進行比對,擁有176萬人口的卡達則在這個"另類獎牌榜"上得分最高,排名世界第一,但卡達目前僅獲得1枚銅牌。而人口205萬的斯洛維尼亞則由於獲得了1塊金牌而得分排名第二,有著440萬人口的紐西蘭則緊隨其後排名第三。

這篇報道認為,將人口數量納入考量範圍是有依據的,像美國這樣的人口和國土面積大國,在挑選運動員和相關資源時,有足夠的基數資源可供選擇,而相比之下,像巴哈馬這樣的小國,則是在有限的人口中挑選有運動天賦和能力的人。

與此同時,國民生產總值之所以也在考量範圍之內,是因為體育器械和訓練設施往往需要較大數量的投資,對於傳統大國來說,他們是有能力支付這些,但對於小國來說,則未必能夠如願。同時,這篇報道指出,國民生產總值也影響了人口數量,將人口數量和國民生產總值同時進行考慮,則會有更加全面的數據。

而報道中認為,這樣的"另類獎牌榜"統計方式,相比原有的獎牌數量計算更加客觀和全面。

《紐約時報》發出這樣的疑問:為金牌輸球錯了嗎?

京港台時間:2012/8/4  消息來源:《紐約時報》

為金牌輸球錯了嗎?《紐約時報》的評論發出這樣的疑問,羽毛球消極比賽事件后,中國媒體嚴厲自我批判,但國際輿論似乎更贊同「程序正義」。事實就是,在《紐約時報》時報發出這篇評論的同時,在奧運(專題)會自行車男子團體賽中,英國利用「故意摔倒」戰術獲重賽資格,並擊敗法國晉級。國際奧委會對此表示,英國自行車隊的做法沒問題,他們只是利用規則做到最好,這跟羽毛球女雙事件不能相提並論。

美國女足的老資格前鋒阿比·瓦姆巴赫(Abby Wambach)曾說,「沒有人因為你贏得小組第一名而給你任何獎勵。」從瓦姆巴赫到尤塞恩·博爾特(Usain Bolt),甚至包括安·羅姆尼(Ann Romney,米特·羅姆尼之妻)的賽馬拉法爾卡(Rafalca),所有奧運(專題)選手的目標都是贏得獎牌。其餘的一切只不過是旅程。

那麼,說到因故意輸掉分組階段最後一場比賽而被取消資格的4對女子羽毛球選手,為什麼會有人對她們的策略憤憤不平?這些羽毛球選手究竟是在什麼地方踏過界線、沉淪到了腐敗的範疇?

爭議持續發酵組織比賽的不是她們。安排抽籤的也不是她們。

她們只是研究了呈現在自己面前的信息,再看了一看自己的最終目標,然後走上了看似最有可能讓自己抵達最終目標的路徑。她們得出結論,輸掉那場比賽將給予自己贏得獎牌的更佳路徑。相比一名在預賽中以巡航速度抵達終點的游泳運動員,或者一名為了節省能量用於決賽、而在半決賽中慢跑衝線的賽跑運動員,這有什麼區別?進一步說,這與棒球運動員的「觸擊」(bunting)又有什麼顯著區別?

德瑞克·基特(Derek Jeter)是一名打擊率高達.313的職業棒球擊球手。他不僅是擊球手中的高手,還是棒球運動史上最優秀的游擊手之一。然而在某些場合(有時甚至是在重要比賽的重要環節),基特在踏上本壘板時抱有擊而不中的明確意圖。事實上,如果他成功了(也就是說,如果他成功地失敗了),回到休息區時還會得到隊友們的祝賀。棒球和其他一些運動項目的規則,製造了失敗可能成為明智戰略的情形。

就羽毛球而言,這幾對選手的最終目標是清楚的:贏得金牌。有助於實現這個目標的途徑之一是什麼?無非是在儘可能長的時間內避免與最優秀的對手遭遇。這甚至算不上是「犧牲觸擊」,因為沒有犧牲可言。在研究了呈現在自己面前的比賽安排后,這幾對選手看到了一個機會:她們不需要放棄任何東西,就有望獲得一些重大優勢。人們甚至可以說,她們如果不抓住這個機遇才是愚蠢的。

同樣值得指出的是,所謂「始終全力以赴」的這個說法,或者你可以想象出的某個過於活躍的少年棒球隊教練在賽前吐出的陳詞濫調,基本上都是西式的修辭。正如英國人在過去兩周里急於提醒我們的那樣,公平競爭和運動員精神的概念是在這裡發明的。但是,那究竟意味著什麼?費力贏得一場無意義的比賽,只為加大自己此後比賽的難度?

對某些人來說,這有違體育情感;對其他人來說,這不合邏輯。

人們只能想象,這件事如果發生在四年前的北京,當地人的反應會有什麼不同。畢竟,孫武在《孫子兵法》中傳授了一種更為世故的作戰策略,強調胸懷大局,注重態勢和戰略,並且堅定不移地記住自己想要的最終結果。

這幾對羽毛球選手正是這麼做的,而這一理論在每一個比賽項目中都得到了不同程度的運用。有時候,一支橄欖球隊會故意製造一個5碼罰球,使己方的棄踢手有更大空間把球踢到得分區附近。有時候,一名自行車賽選手會放慢速度,以幫助隊友堅持到終點。有時候,一支籃球隊會讓不那麼優秀的球員上場,以便提高在下一個賽季得到較高選秀權的幾率。

周二,在威爾士的加迪夫,日本女足在最後一場小組比賽中故意踢成平局,下半場龜縮后場,從不推進到前場試圖進球。這一戰略出於該隊教練的命令,他的邏輯很簡單:平局意味著日本女足可以留在加迪夫,幾天後在這裡投入四分之一決賽。贏球則意味著日本女足不得不到蘇格蘭去參加淘汰賽。

對日本女足教練佐佐木則夫(Norio Sasaki)來說,減少旅途勞頓意味著有更好的幾率贏得比賽。對那幾對羽毛球選手來說,輸掉分組階段最後一場比賽也是這個意思。那些抱怨買票不是為了看這種表現的球迷,沒有看到運動員眼中的大局。比賽選手的主要義務是利用對自己最有利的安排贏得獎牌。她們為了在比賽中有出色表現而訓練,但更重要的是,她們為了贏得獎牌而訓練。周二,輸掉比賽賦予她們贏得獎牌的最佳機會。如果球迷們仍然憤怒,發泄怒火的對象也應該是造成這種情形的組織者,而不是運動員。

這種場面好看嗎?當然不好看。沒有人說球迷必須為故意輸球喝彩。但是,我們不應該愚蠢到否認這樣一個事實:有時候,這只是整場遊戲的又一個部分。

回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

樓主| eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 02:11 | 只看該作者
英國賽艇選手稱座椅有問題叫停重賽 法媒大罵"不要臉"(組圖)

京港台時間:2012/8/5  消息來源:網易

今天是倫敦奧運會賽艇比賽的收官日,東道主英國隊終於大獲豐收,拿到了女子輕量級雙人雙槳和男子四人單槳的金牌,男子輕量級雙人雙槳是第三項決賽,英國人自然希望能夠用一枚金牌來劃上一個完美的句號。

代表英國隊參加男子輕量級雙人雙槳決賽的是普查斯/亨特,這對組合來頭不小,他們是2008年的世界冠軍。起航之後,丹麥組合和英國組合併駕齊驅,然而比賽僅僅進行了不到100碼(約90米),普查斯/亨特突然向裁判示意,要求停止比賽。

原來,英國組合的座椅出現了損壞,普查斯不得不拿出螺絲刀修理自己的座椅。經過幾分鐘的等待,六支隊伍回到出發區,比賽重新開始。最終,丹麥組合拉斯姆森/奎斯特笑到了最後,英國的普查斯/亨特以0.61秒之差飲恨。

按照賽艇比賽規則,如果在前100米的起航區內舟艇出現器械故障,應及時舉手示意,經航道裁判證實后,如該艇沒有搶航或其他犯規,可以允許中斷比賽進行修理和調整,並召回全組重新起航。

英國組合合理利用了比賽規則,其他選手則多少受到了一些影響。賽后,法國評論員破口大罵:"真不要臉!沒有任何理由停止比賽。"在法國人眼中,英國隊似乎是故意中斷比賽,而非座椅真正出了問題。
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

1萬

帖子

2萬

積分

貝殼光明大使

積分
大千世界 發表於 2012-8-5 11:05 | 只看該作者
英國《自然》這次太不尊重「自然」

本報記者 張國 《 中國青年報 》( 2012年08月04日   02 版)

這幾天,以其權威性在全球科學界著稱的英國《自然》出版集團,因為有關中國運動員葉詩文的一篇報道而招致讀者批評。

在讀者的批評聲中,《自然》雜誌網站對報道的失實之處做了修改,並關閉了評論。然而,在北美,一些華人學者甚至考慮向《自然》主編聯名發抗議信。有人草擬了抗議的初稿,聲稱從報道中「嗅出了種族歧視的味道」。

8月1日,《自然》雜誌網站刊發了記者伊文·卡拉威的報道。他藉由倫敦奧運會游泳冠軍葉詩文在女子400米混合泳中的驚人表現,從科學角度探討反興奮劑的問題,文章標題是《那些偉大的奧運成績為何惹人懷疑?——「歷史表現分析」有助於消除疑慮》。

他的報道是針對16歲的葉詩文奪冠引發的爭議而寫的。在倫敦奧運會女子400米混合泳項目中,葉詩文以4分28秒43的成績獲得金牌並打破世界紀錄。她最後50米的衝刺時間為28秒93,速度超過了男子400米混合泳冠軍得主美國運動員瑞安·羅切特,後者最後50米用時29秒10。

賽后,多家外國媒體刊發了世界游泳教練協會執行董事約翰·萊昂納德等人的質疑,認為葉詩文的成績「不可能」,猜測她可能服用了興奮劑。

但是,葉詩文隨後通過了興奮劑檢測,並又摘取了另一個項目的金牌。奧委會官方宣布了她的清白。

《自然》雜誌網站的報道開頭便提到這場風波。報道指出,葉詩文沒有任何葯檢陽性的記錄,奧委會也已宣布她的賽后葯檢沒有問題。「這場比賽所引起的爭論帶有些許種族主義和政治色彩,卻忽略了其中的科學元素。」

因此,這份著名的學術期刊表示,希望討論是否可以通過分析運動員的「歷史表現」和人類的生理極限,來揪出服用興奮劑的運動員。

然而,《自然》的這篇報道被一些讀者認為充滿了「各種羨慕嫉妒恨」。

「葉的表現異常嗎?」作者卡拉威自問自答,「是的。」

卡拉威的依據是,葉詩文的成績比她在7月的一場重大比賽中的同一項目成績快了7秒。但真正讓人吃驚的是她在最後50米的速度比男子冠軍羅切特還快,「而羅切特的成績已經是這一項目歷史上第二快的成績了」。

這個與事實不符的回答,讓不少讀者讀出了「偏見」。這使接下來與葉詩文無關的報道內容也像是針對葉詩文。比如,文中列出第二個問題是,「在賽事中的葯檢合格就能排除嗑藥的可能性嗎?」

答案是「不能」。文章引用南非開普敦大學的運動生理學家羅斯·塔克的話說,運動員更傾向於在訓練中使用藥物,很少有人是在奧運會期間被查出嗑藥的。賽事之外的檢測通常更容易抓到嗑藥的運動員。但是,對所有的頂尖運動員全年都進行葯檢是不可能做到的。

文章還介紹了德國弗萊堡大學的運動生理學家約克·奧拉夫·舒馬赫的觀點。舒馬赫與合作者發表論文提出,運動員的「歷史表現分析」,可以作為反興奮劑的工具。長期追蹤一名運動員的表現,記錄其異常表現,可以讓反興奮劑機構更好更有針對性地查出嗑藥者。

在文中提出的最後一個問題上,作者卡拉威為葉詩文獲得金牌提供了正面論據。「運動員是否會僅僅因為過於優異的表現而被處分?」

開普敦大學的運動生理學家羅斯·塔克說:「如果真是那樣,那就太不公平了,最終處罰決定將根據葯檢結果做出,並且也只能是以葯檢結果為準。」塔克指出,不能僅憑成績異常就判定運動員使用了興奮劑,影響運動員表現的因素很多。

「當我們審視這個打破了一項世界紀錄的中國年輕游泳選手時,(她的成績)不能證明什麼,最多是引出了人們的個別疑問罷了。」塔克說。

《自然》的作者雖然自視沒有任何偏見,但許多讀者留言批評說,大名鼎鼎的《自然》發出這樣的報道,是令他們難以接受的。

《自然》的讀者主要是世界各地的科學界人士。他們對該文的反駁是「引經據典式」的。

清華大學醫學院教授顏寧在個人博客里轉發了部分留言並感慨,報道引發的討論「亮點不斷」,「科學家認真起來比一般的自由作家強太多了」。

顏寧統計了一下,不到12個小時里,《自然》雜誌網站收到了120多篇針對該文的評論,「各種數據、分析,洋洋洒洒,隨便幾篇都比原文更有理有據」。這些網友在她看來「太有才了」。

顏寧認為,一位署名為「Lai Jiang」的網友所寫的長篇評論,甚至可以直接投到《自然》雜誌,以「通信文章」形式發表。

「Lai Jiang」指出,包括自己在內的科學工作者們看見享有盛譽的《自然》刊登這樣一篇「幾乎是不加掩飾的帶著很深偏見的文章」,真是感到恥辱。作者和編輯至少應當向讀者提供準確的數據,「但是很顯然,他們沒能做到」。

根據葉詩文的運動成績,「Lai Jiang」指出,《自然》對比了葉詩文的400米混合泳成績和她在2011年游泳世錦賽上的成績,分別是4分28秒43和4分35秒15,得出她的成績「異常」提升了7秒的結論。但作者忽視了一點,葉詩文此前的個人最佳成績是2010亞運會上的4分33秒79,與之相比,倫敦奧運會上進步了5.38秒,不能等同於7秒。

「Lai Jiang」還引用澳大利亞著名運動員伊恩·索普的談話表明,葉詩文只有16歲,還在發育,兩年內成績提高5秒是不罕見的。索普的400米自由泳成績在15~16歲之間就提高了5秒。

《自然》的報道將葉詩文與羅切特的最後50米成績對比,「Lai Jiang」指出,這是「有目的地選取數據」。雖然羅切特在最後50米慢於葉詩文,但那是由於他前300米具有明顯優勢,最後沒有必要全力以赴。與之相反,葉詩文前300米一直落後,最後依靠自由泳的強項求勝。而且,羅切特的總成績比葉詩文快了23.25秒,不提這個事實,只比最後50米,容易給讀者造成「女人游得比世界上該項目最快的男人還快」的假象。

事實上,「Lai Jiang」指出,在同一賽事中,還有菲爾普斯等4名男運動員最後50米衝刺的速度勝過羅切特和葉詩文。如果要對比400米混合泳最後50米的成績,「羅切特絕對不是個好例子」。「這作者真的試圖向我們展示他在論證中的科學嚴謹性嗎?」

「Lai Jiang」表示最為反對的是,《自然》引用了羅斯·塔克關於葯檢不能排除嗑藥的可能性的觀點。他的依據是,如果是這樣,恐怕《自然》經過同行評議的一半的科學文章都要撤回。「怎麼能有人說服編輯和審稿員,讓他們相信這人的理論能在所有你能想到的場合下成立呢?沒有一種理論能夠做到。」而《自然》這篇文章的邏輯可以被解讀為:「所有的運動員都嗑了葯,管理機構就是沒法抓到他們。」

這位讀者認為,儘管作者沒有偽造任何數據,但他確實「有目的地選取了數據」。「僅向讀者展示對你的論點有利的證據,恐怕不能被稱為『科學的』或『有新聞道德的』。」

另一位中國國內的博士生說,這種文章也能刊登,《自然》也太不尊重「自然」了。

一直被朋友稱為小博士。其實就是書讀得多一些而已。

回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

貝殼網友五級

積分
裘世石 發表於 2012-8-5 12:29 | 只看該作者
也沒什麼,等中華民族強大了。某些西方國家相信也會跟狗一樣跟在中國人後面。
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

樓主| eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 12:39 | 只看該作者
裘世石 發表於 2012-8-5 12:29
也沒什麼,等中華民族強大了。某些西方國家相信也會跟狗一樣跟在中國人後面。 ...

外國人對中國怎麼樣,那根本不是個問題。

但是,最可恨的是那些自己看不起自己的中國人。這幫混蛋特讓人討厭。
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

貝殼網友五級

積分
cedarloo 發表於 2012-8-5 14:07 | 只看該作者
eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 12:39
外國人對中國怎麼樣,那根本不是個問題。

但是,最可恨的是那些自己看不起自己的中國人。這幫混蛋特讓人 ...

回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

2萬

積分

貝殼精神領袖

積分
仲國民 發表於 2012-8-5 15:24 | 只看該作者
eztomcat 發表於 2012-8-5 12:39
外國人對中國怎麼樣,那根本不是個問題。

但是,最可恨的是那些自己看不起自己的中國人。這幫混蛋特讓人 ...

回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

二級貝殼核心

積分
打狗棒 發表於 2012-8-6 12:24 | 只看該作者
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄后才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

關於本站 | 隱私權政策 | 免責條款 | 版權聲明 | 聯絡我們

Copyright © 2001-2013 海外華人中文門戶:倍可親 (http://big5.backchina.com) All Rights Reserved.

程序系統基於 Discuz! X3.1 商業版 優化 Discuz! © 2001-2013 Comsenz Inc.

本站時間採用京港台時間 GMT+8, 2024-4-23 02:51

快速回復 返回頂部 返回列表